Friday, December 31, 2021

Say NO to New Year's Resolutions!



 New Year's Resolutions Themes and Intentions

Do you usually set a New Year’s resolution? If you do, how long do you stick to it?  If you’re like most people, only about 7% of people who make resolutions adhere to them throughout the year. How about choosing a theme and setting an intention for the year! 


What’s the difference?  According to the Oxford dictionary, a resolution is “a definite decision to do or not to do something” while a theme is “the subject or main idea” and an intention is “your aim.”  Basically, a resolution can impart the sense of “I can’t do X” while setting an intention based on a theme offers choices. 

Most people, when they make a resolution, start out with good intentions.  You might say,

"I’m going to lose 50 pounds this year," or "I’m going to quit smoking." Those are lofty and worthwhile goals, but they don’t take the “how” into consideration… the little steps to get from now to a 50 pound lighter you.

How does this translate to wellness? For me, resolutions inspire a battle of wills…

“I want chocolate”;

“I can’t have chocolate”;

I feel grumpy, irritable, and angry;

I deny myself for days, then I say F*@K IT and binge on all the chocolate.  

Now, when I set a theme for the year, these conversations in my head feel completely different. For the last few years, my theme has been To Thine Own Self Be True. To really be true to me, every choice I make and action I take must be for my greatest and highest good. Not to be perfect, but to be the best me that I can be. In keeping with my theme of being true to myself in every hour of every day through the entire year, I wake each morning and set the intention of choosing healthy habits throughout the day. So, when the chocolate craving hits, the conversation in my head might sound like this:   

“Man, I’m hungry! I really want chocolate... right NOW! 
Why do I suddenly want chocolate so badly? Am  I tired?  
Maybe… I’m going to put on a song and have a quick dance party.
Phew!  That was great! I have so much energy now, but I still want chocolate.  
Hmmm… am I just thirsty? I’ll have a glass of water.
That didn’t fix it.  Maybe I really am just hungry. I’ll have an orange or apple and see if that takes care of it.
Nope… I still want chocolate.  I’m going to choose to have one piece of Dove dark chocolate.
Mmmmmm. That was delicious and just what I needed!”

Do you see the difference? Didn’t the second conversation feel completely different?  In thinking through how to best be true to me in that moment of craving, I question the desire for something “unhealthy,” I take steps to determine whether the craving is masking something else, then actively take responsibility for the ultimate choice to have one piece of chocolate to finally quell the craving. I don’t feel angry or grouchy or guilty for making the choice to have a piece of chocolate and that one piece of chocolate really isn’t going to hinder my underlying goal of losing weight.

Here's the intention-setting process I use, with a caveat.  Start small!  I’ve been at this for a while. The process might feel a bit large if you’re new to this kind of work. To create my intention, I:.

 

  1. Get clear on what I really want to feel and be - I want to be fully present and aware of my body, thoughts, and emotions in each moment. I want to feel freedom, joy, and love for myself.
  2. Let go of all of the “noise” - the past is over!  Every day is a fresh start.
  3. Embody (What will it feel like?  Bring in all of your senses and feel what it will be like when you have what you really want.) - When I am fully present and aware of my body, thoughts, and emotions I will feel alive, honest, joyful, connected, and deeply trusting.
  4. Set my intention - I trust myself fully in each and every moment.  I love knowing that I have everything I need inside myself and that my body holds all of the answers. I choose to listen.
  5. Take Action (Practice!!!) - I choose to pause and ask my body what it needs at least once an hour. This is a simple action that I can take throughout my day to keep awareness focused on my intention.
  6. Stay flexible - This is a process.  It takes multiple repetitions to form a habit - especially a positive habit.  We are perfectly imperfect humans.  
  7. CELEBRATE! - Celebrate the small steps! I spend a few moments reflecting each night before I fall asleep and congratulate myself for at least one instance when I acted on my intention that day.

How does this land for you? Do you need some help with any part of the process? Do you see the difference between intentions and resolutions? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year!

  Sometimes I forget how challenging it is to live with a chronic illness. It really is a full-time job. Life in the before time (BT) - ...